Here are the key points regarding International Yoga Day:
- International Yoga Day is celebrated annually on 21st June.
- The concept of International Yoga Day was proposed by the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, during his speech at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on 27 September 2014.
- The draft resolution passed by India was endorsed by a record 175 member states. Hence, 21 June was declared as the International Day of Yoga by the UN General Assembly.
- The first International Yoga Day was celebrated on 21 June 2015.
- The theme for 2022 was “Yoga for Humanity”. The theme highlights the idea that yoga served humanity as a whole.
- The main purpose of the International Yoga Day is to raise awareness worldwide about the benefits of practicing yoga. It aims to promote yoga as a holistic approach to health and wellbeing.
- On International Yoga Day, various events and yoga sessions are organized around the world to mark this day. In India, the main event takes place at Rajpath in New Delhi.
So in summary, International Yoga Day is celebrated every year on 21st June since 2015, after its inception by PM Modi to highlight and spread awareness about yoga globally.