The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) was launched by the Government of India in 2016 to provide free LPG connections to women from below poverty line (BPL) households. Some key points about PMUY:
- Launched on 1st May 2016 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Aims to provide free LPG connections to poor households, especially in rural areas where cooking is done using firewood, coal etc.
- The target was to provide 5 crore LPG connections to BPL families by March 2019 which was later revised to 8 crore connections by March 2020.
- Under the scheme, a financial support of Rs 1600 is provided for each LPG connection by the Union Government.
- The connections are issued in the name of adult women of the households to empower them.
- Implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas in coordination with state-owned oil companies.
So in summary, the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana was launched in the year 2016 by the Government of India to provide free LPG connections to BPL households, especially in rural areas.