Careers. Brittany intends to defend its granite

“The challenge during public procurement is to favor Breton companies over the competition,” emphasizes Gaëlle Le Stradic, president of the public procurement authority in the Brittany region. The question is, therefore, how to announce tenders so that not only the price is important. We reversed that trend because it is no longer decisive at 40%. For the remaining 60%, we can play on the total cost of the product, taking into account its entire production up to recycling. The local product fares better there. »

On Thursday, February 29, 2024, she unveiled, in the company of regional advisors Simon Uzenat and Carole Le Béché, the three Morbihan quarries (Grand-Champ, Saint-Nolff and Saint-Avé) of the National Union of the Quarry and Construction Materials Industry (Unicem) which brings together nine trade unions representing the mineral extraction industries as well as construction material producers. With its 170 companies and 3,200 jobs, Unicem is one of the leading suppliers of aggregates (sand, gravel) and cut stone (granite, slate) in Brittany.

Region, role of the prescriber

A region where around 30 million tons of material is taken out of the ground every year. Unicem intends, thanks to the support of the region, to defend its granite which has a Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) now against Spain and Portugal (50% of the market) which have displaced, thanks to Covid, China (10% of the market). market).

“Even if the Region is not the main contractor in terms of roads, it plays the role of prescriber, spreading good practice to other communities,” estimated Simon Uzenat, regional councilor and socialist senator from Morbihan. A procurement policy that is all the more important because Unicem has a training center in Louvigné-du-Désert (Ille-et-Vilaine) that every year has 1,500 apprentices and trainees preparing for the jobs of tomorrow in Brittany in a sector where the average age is 47. “And where there are already about 300 jobs that need to be filled,” observes Sylvie Lebreton.

Leave a Comment